The South African government through the Department of Energy is collaborating with the Department of Trade and Industry, and the United National Development Programme with financial support from the Global Environmental Facility (GEF) in implementing the appliance energy efficiency Standards and Labelling (S&L) Programme. The programme is designed with the objective of removing inefficient appliances from the South African market and to encourage the adoption of new energy efficient appliances. The project will also contribute towards the reduction of the electricity demand within the residential sector and also introduce continuous energy efficiency improvements into the appliances and equipment industry.
The objective of the project are to:
– Identify, assess, design and develop a business case for a future pilot of selected innovative market-based economic incentives in selected municipalities in Gauteng Province with consideration of government-led energy efficiency awards, voluntary agreements with retailers and/or bulk procurement of high energy-efficient LED household lamps and/or refrigerators that seeks to strengthen the penetration of these appliances in the South African market.
– Conduct a cost-benefit analysis and evaluate the feasibility of implementing the proposed incentive schemes for energy efficient LED lamps and refrigerators.
– Define and develop an appropriate business case involving appliance manufacturers and retailers and potential voluntary agreements with retailers in support of a well-defined funding framework.
– Establish a registration, monitoring, reporting and verification web-based system and institutional management structure to support the effective implementation of the future pilot.
– Assess and develop a workable project implementation plan for a future pilot of the preferred incentive scheme/s.
The assignment requires a short-term local consultant for 6 months beginning mid-November 2016. The maximum budget for the activity is DKK 700,000.
Deadline for proposals: 21 October 16:00, Danish time
Contact the Programme Officer at the contact point below to receive the Request for Proposal. Applications not using the standard form may be rejected. Proposals received after the deadline shall be rejected.
Name of Programme Officer: Maleepile Moseki
E-mail address, Programme Officer: email@example.com
Telephone of Programme Officer: +27 721449210
Criteria for award of Contract:
As stated in the Request for Proposal
Sector: Equipment and appliances
Country / Region: Africa, South AfricaTags: efficiency labelings, efficiency standards, efficient appliances, electricity, electricity generation, energy, energy efficiency, Global Environment Fund, implementation, incentives, industry, international development, low emission development strategies, power, projects, trade, voluntary agreements on climate change
Knowledge Object: Funding and finance opportunity for energy efficiency
Published by: DANIDA