The World Economic Forum (‘WEF’) and JLL recognized the urgent need to transform
the development and management of the built environment. They aim to drive industry transformation for a future where buildings and cities are more sustainable, resilient, affordable and livable.
The WEF and JLL developed Green Building Principles to address sustainability, simplify the process of delivering net-zero carbon portfolios and accelerate action from peers across every industry.
WEF Green Building Principles:
- Calculate a robust carbon footprint of your portfolio in the most recent representative year
- to inform targets.
- Set a target year for achieving net-zero carbon by 2050 at the latest, and an interim
- target for reducing at least 50% of these emissions by 2030.
- Measure and record embodied carbon of new developments and major refurbishments.
- Maximize emissions reductions for all new developments and major
- refurbishments in the pipeline to ensure delivery of net-zero carbon (operational
- and embodied) by the selected final target year.
- Drive energy optimization across both existing assets and new developments.
- Maximize supply of on-site renewable energy.
- Ensure 100% off-site energy is procured from renewable-backed sources, where available.
- Engage with stakeholders with whom you have influence in your value chain to reduce
- Scope 3 emissions.
- Procure high-quality carbon offsets to compensate for residual emissions.
- Engage with stakeholders to identify joint endeavours and equitably share costs and benefits of interventions.
Sectors: Buildings, Finance
Country / Region: GlobalTags: Banks, built environment, carbon, carbon footprint, carbon offset credits, carbon offsets, cities, citizens, emissions, energy, Industry Regulators, Institutional Investors, National Regulators, SMARTER, stakeholders, Supranational Regulators, targets
In 5 user collections: Green Home Investment Platform – Industry Regulators , Green Home Investment Platform – National Regulators , Green Home Investment Platform – Supranational Regulators , Green Home Investment Platform – Institutional Investors , Green Home Investment Platform – Banks
Knowledge Object: Web Resource
Author: World Economic Forum, JLL: Ulbrich, Christian, CEO, JLL, Co-Chair World Economic Forum Real Estate Industry; van Oostrom, Coen, Founder and CEO EDGE, Co-Chair World Economic Forum Real Estate Industry